Frances Hesselbein Student Leadership Program
What is the Frances Hesselbein Student Leadership Program?
The Frances Hesselbein Student Leadership Program focuses on identifying leaders in Student 2 Student® programs that show great leadership potential who will take the knowledge and skills learned and take them back to their campus to grow and sustain their S2S program.
In our pursuit of the absolute best candidates, we have made some changes to the selection process.
- Only two students may apply from your campus. (One boy and one girl).
- Only one student from the campus will be selected.
- Students must be a sophomore or junior to apply.
- Campuses can send students for either the Fall 2016 semester or the Spring 2017 semester. If selected for the Fall 2016 semester, the campus will not be eligible to nominate another candidate until Fall of 2017.
We are very excited to announce that the application process is now online.
There are two parts to this application process: the sponsor and the student.
(Please be prepared to rank your applicants, if necessary, at a future time. )
Submit (For each Student)
Evidence of good academic standing.
Please have a document from the guidance office stating the student is in good academic standing at your school. This document should show attendance and grades. Important Note: Although we do not base our selection on grades, we do want ensure that missing a week of school will not harm the student academically.
Completed Recommendation Link
(Below are the requirements for the students)
One-page essay describing your most influential leader and why that person is influential to you. (It can be a historical figure or someone you know personally)
The essay must be:
- Completed before the start of the online application process
- 1 (one) page in length
- 1.5 spacing
- Times New Roman font, size 11
- The student must submit a one page resume’ that list all activities, awards and honors, job experience and volunteer service. The student must submit a one page resume’ that list all activities, awards and honors, job experience and volunteer service.
- Parent must be present while student is completing application to electronically sign the required documentation. Parent signatures will be verified.
Additional Information regarding application:
- Every application must be submitted online. No exceptions will be made.
Sponsor will attach evidence of good standing and recommendation letter to application using their link.
There is a sponsor link and a student link. Both parts of the application must be completed and submitted no later than 11:59pm, September 12, 2016. The application process will automatically close at that time.
Following MCEC’s review of the applications, the top 20 candidates will have a phone interview by an MCEC representative. Students, along with their parents and sponsors, will be notified of their acceptance no later than September 30, 2016.
United States Military Academy
United States Air Force Academy
Frances Hesselbein One-Pager
Click here to download this publication in a PDF
The Frances Hesselbein Student Leadership Program was established by the Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC) in 2006 to identify exemplary young people through their participation in the MCEC Student 2 Student (S2S) program. The program was named for Mrs. Frances Hesselbein, in recognition of her dedication to the development of children and youth. Mrs. Hesselbein is the Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Leader to Leader Institute and the former CEO of the Girl Scouts of the USA. She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the United States highest civilian honor, in 1998.
Under the direction of the MCEC, and following the inspiration and guidance of Mrs. Hesselbein, this one-week training program is offered at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, and the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The program delivers intensive training, interaction with positive role models, and practical applications which benefit participants in their studies and throughout their lifetime. Full Tuition includes transportation, lodging, meals, program materials and supplies.
The Frances Hesselbein Student Leadership Program objectives are focused on the following major areas: team building, leadership development, to include goal setting, and motivational workshops; resilience, life span human development, character development, community involvement and leaders in action.
Applicants must be a Sophomore or Junior, and active in their local Student 2 Student program.