Supporting Military Children through School Transitions™: Social/Emotional Institute
The MCEC® Supporting Military Children through School Transitions™: Social Emotional is an interactive professional development institute focusing on the social and emotional implications of transition for the military-connected student. Topics include school support systems, looking at social/emotional implications of transition through a developmental lens, and the effects of deployment separation and loss.
The Learning Outcomes Are:
- Describe school transition concerns impacting the military families
- Interpret data from MCEC research and institute networking that address the social and emotional aspects of school transition
- Evaluate the effects of deployment, separation, and loss
- Design methods to ease the challenges of transition
Face-to-Face instruction with up to 50 people per session.
This course includes 12 clock hours (1.2 CEUs) of instruction and group work time, exclusive of
breaks and lunch. The course if offered over two consecutive days.
This course is designed for school counselors, educators, and others who work with militaryconnected children and youth in an educational or youth organization setting. This course is also relevant for those who work with any youth who may experience high mobility rate.
- Understanding the Needs of Military-Connected Children
- Five Pillars of Support for School Transitions
- Deployment and Separation
- Resilience and Transition
- Deployment and Separation
- Burning Issues
- Developing a Plan of Action
Participants receive the following resources during the training:
- Supporting Military Children through School Transitions™: Social Emotional Participant Manual (MCEC Publication)
- Parent Guide (MCEC Publication)
- Education of the Military Child in the 21st Century Executive Summary MCEC Research Publication
- Touching the Hearts of Children Anthology: The Art of being a Military Child (MCEC Publication)
- Best Friends, Worst Enemies: Understanding the Social Lives of Children by Michael Thompson and Catherine O’Neill Grace
- 35 Ways to Help a Grieving Child The Dougy Center
- Cliques, Phonies, and Other Baloney by Trevor Romain
CEU - Course participants are eligible to receive 1.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for this twelve clock hour course. MCEC has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). MCEC is also a National Board for Certified Counselors Approved Continuing Education provider (ACEP™) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program. These designations allow us to offer you these opportunities.
The Military Child Education Coalition is an approved continuing education provider for the Texas
Education Association Provider # 501-090, Texas and other state entities.
To receive CEUs a participant must maintain 95% attendance, engage in the class activities and discussions, complete an end of course evaluation, and complete an end-of-course assessment with a minimum score of 80%. The CEU fee is $25.00.
Graduate Credit - Participants may apply for one hour of non-degreed graduate credit issued by Texas A&M University Central Texas. Requirements to receive the credit are 95% attendance, engage in the class activities and discussions, complete an end of course evaluation, and complete an end-of-
course assessment with a minimum score of 80%. The graduate credit fee is $50.00.
For more information about this training, other professional development opportunities, or learner support, please contact Amanda Hulsey at 254-953-1923 x 1139 or Amanda.Hulsey@militarychild.org