Transition Counselors Institute (TCI-1) Phase One
The MCEC® Transition Counselor Institute™ (TCI) Phase One is an interactive professional development institute focusing on the military-connected child’s experience with transitions. TCI Phase One strives to create an environment for education, installation, and community professionals to have access to professional networks, technologies, resources, and support systems. The MCEC understands the importance in helping these professionals stay up to date on the dynamic and diverse K-12 school experience that impacts the transitioning student. Military lifestyle and culture, school transition perspectives, and identifying local transition challenges are some of the modules addressed.
The target audience is area public, parochial, and home school and Department of Defense guidance counselors and other educators, installation and community leaders, transition specialist, military parents as well as other caring adults interested in learning more about improving the education of military connected-children and youth.
• Explain how the elements of transition and separation impact the military family using print media, current research and participants’ experience
• Interpret data from MCEC research and institute networking that addresses school transitions
• Analyze current transition practices/programs for entering and exiting mobile students by utilizing research and networking activities
• Formulate a viable transition action plan to be used on individual campuses or at school district levels using focus group discussions, institute materials and instructor feedback
• Common Ground – Understanding the Military Culture
• Smooth and Effective Transitions
• Academic & Military Resources
• Deployment as Transition
• Attending the Needs of the Child
• Creating an Action Plan
Upon institute completion (95% attendance, completions and a score of 80% or above on an end-of-course assessment), participants may apply for Continuing Education Unit (CEU) credit (12 hours=1.2) for $25.00 and/or 1 hour of graduate credit from Texas A & M-Central Texas for $175.00. Fees are payable at the completion of the training.