Reports To: Senior Vice President / Chief Operating Officer
FLSA Status: Full-Time Exempt
I. Position Overview
The Director of Marketing and Communications is accountable for managing the marketing and communications needs of the organization. This position is responsible for contributing to the development and implementation of a marketing plan (internal and external markets), and managing effective communications systems to include web, social, print and digital communications.
The Director of Marketing and Communication will work full-time from the MCEC headquarters located in Harker Heights, Texas. At this time, telecommuting is not an option.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitates Board of Directors and President/CEO defined organizational goals and performance targets.
- Assists/supports the SVP/COO with marketing planning and goal setting for MCEC programs and services.
- Updates and advises the SVP/COO and other members of the leadership team on marketing, events, and requirements.
- Effectively communicates in a timely manner with the SVP/COO and other members of the leadership team on all actual or potential issues, concerns, obstacles and challenges and helps find and implement solutions.
- Manages funds for assigned programs and services and sets requirements for assigned staff.
- In all interactions maintains and safeguards the standards, internal controls, and fiscal integrity of the organization and the mission of the Military Child Education Coalition.
- Interprets organizational policies, procedures, and guidelines for areas of assigned responsibility and uses them when working with others.
- Establishes a receptive environment and positive, professional relations within the office, members, and with external partners, customers, and other contacts.
- Supervises and evaluates designated staff, ensuring that employees work effectively and efficiently.
- Ensures highest level of internal and external customer service.
- Supports Board of Director member committee chairs, as required.
- Represents the President/CEO and MCEC as assigned.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Communications and Marketing:
- Serve as a key communicator to represent the depth and breadth, as well as the vision for the MCEC.
- Responsible for the content generation/creation and production of all messaging - across all mediums - Web, print, presentations, and video.
- Provide expert advice and close working relationship with the VP of Fund Development and the VP of Programs & Curriculum as they need communications and marketing material.
- Develop and implement effective public relations/marketing programs
- Oversees MCEC’s Public Relations and Marketing contract support, leveraging relationships with military departments, school districts and military installation expanding awareness of MCEC, MCEC’s work, and priorities.
- Manages product development support.
- Assures branding quality and consistency.
- Write, edit, and coordinate the development and printing of MCEC’s official magazine. On-The Move Magazine®
- Develops, designs, and publishes the MCEC Annual Report.
- Assures compliance with, maintains, and over watches/safeguards intellectual property in coordination with the Chief Operating Officer and Staff Counsel. Advisor to Web IT architect, who handles the development and infrastructure of the MCEC website.
- Administer and manage the marketing team to achieve the organization’s operating objectives
- Manage the department budget and make recommendations for successive years
- Ensure consistent use of messaging and the MCEC brand both internally and externally
- Actively engage local, regional, and national media. Coordinate article placement reflective of MCEC brand in appropriate markets. Develop media strategy and engagement for National Training Seminar. Secure and coordinate media coverage; supervise media outreach for MCEC activities and initiatives.
- Review MCEC publications (print and digital) for content revisions, manage editing through production process
- Develop digital strategy for MCEC online presence. Manage all social platforms.
- Be current on all social media tools, best practices, leading experts and industry uses
- Analyze issues, patterns and trends, within marketing as an industry and MCEC as an organization
- Promote and maintain good relations with organization members and partners
- Recommend new approaches for print/online communications
- Responsible for content creation, production and distribution of monthly e-newsletter
- Understand and enforce MCEC style guidelines and key messages
- Proofread and review materials for grammar and punctuation across MCEC departments
- Support MCEC fundraising programs through development of collateral (digital and print) and assist in identifying organizations, businesses and individuals who are potential donors
- Provide support to VP of Development and other departments as requested to include speech writing, photography, public speaking
III. Reporting and Supervisory Responsibilities
This position reports to the SVP/COO who will provide work guidance and assignments, set performance standards and goals, and review/approve work. Director of Marketing and Communications will supervise marketing team.
IV. Position Qualifications
A minimum of:
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, journalism, public relations or English. Master’s Degree a plus.
- Five years of experience as a leader/manager in an operational environment.
- Five to ten years of experience providing written content for different media platforms.
- Experience in a leadership or management position.
- Strategic communication skills and experience.
- Experience with customer relations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to research and develop understanding of the emerging print and online communication avenues and tools.
The physical demands described here are representative of those met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common trade journals, reports, and documents. Ability to effectively and accurately communicate verbally and in writing to community members.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Must be able to travel occasionally.
This job description conveys information essential to understanding the scope of the position and it is not an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
If interested, please send cover letter and resume to Shellie Campos at firstname.lastname@example.org.